Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the orchestra at a Family Conference! For the first year ever, we are making this a family event — students AND parents are welcome to audition for the orchestra, and participate in the choir as well! Follow the simple steps below to complete your audition. We can’t wait to make music with you.
For His glory,
The Family Conference Music Team
1. Get Your Music
Download and print a copy of the audition music that pertains to your instrument (Note: We are not auditioning for harp or piano.) If more than one part appears in the music, select the part that you can perform most comfortably.
Note: here are a couple things we will be listening for in your audition:
- Intonation – listen in and do some of your own mini recordings to hear your own sound.
- Rhythm – is it steady? Are your note values solid? Try practicing with a metronome to check yourself.
- Articulation and expression markings – How well are you bringing out the details of your music such as dynamics, staccato vs legato, tempo changes, various moods, etc.
2. Record Your Audition
Record a digital audio or video file of yourself playing the music designated for your instrument (mp3 or mp4 is preferred). Please note that recordings must be submitted via email, so plan your format accordingly (submitting a link to a shared folder is also acceptable, e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, private YouTube post, etc.)
Important: A separate recording should be made for each member in your family who will be auditioning.
3. Submit Your Audition
Auditions can be emailed to [email protected].
Please clearly label your email with the following information:
- Your name
- Phone number (cell phone, preferably)
- Your current email address — (Audition results will be emailed to you.)
- Your instrument(s)
- The conference and date that you plan to attend (e.g., Big Sandy, April 2019)
Your audition must be submitted by midnight on the following dates. Recordings that are submitted after these deadlines are not guaranteed consideration for this year’s conferences.
- Big Sandy April conference: March 29, 2019
- Northwoods June conference: May 3, 2019.
- Sacramento conference: June 3, 2019.
- Big Sandy July conference: June 28, 2019
- Northwoods August conference: July 26, 2019.
4. Wait for Review
You will be notified by email whether or not you are accepted into the orchestra up to one week AFTER the deadline has passed. If you have been accepted into the orchestra, you will receive your conference music via email.
If another year of practice is needed before joining the orchestra, we will give you some tips for how to practice and prepare additionally so that you can participate next year
Thanks for participating in the audition process! We look forward to hearing from you.
For any additional questions, please contact [email protected].